Saturday, May 15, 2010

What style/s do you learn and why did you pick it over the others.?

I currently study Ninjutsu. I chose Ninjutsu because I lke the hard conditioning of the body and the attitude to never give up, no matter what.|||I don%26#039;t do martial arts. No one teaches it in our area.|||i%26#039;ve studied in kenpo for about 16years, i love it, it has a little bit of every style. it to also focuses on perserverance and dedication. i was never one for bad mouthing other styles or stating which was better or worse, i just think the more you know the better. keep training, maybe we%26#039;ll cross paths some day.|||taekwondo- 4 yrs


boxing/streetfighting- 2 yrs


okinawan shorin ryu shorin kan karate- 3yrs-present|||Brazilian jiu Jitsu. When I say BJJ, I don%26#039;t mean it in the strictest sense, then I%26#039;d have to be training with the Gracie%26#039;s or someone they bestowed a black belt on. But I have a real good class with some guys who really know their stuff. Very challenging and always learning something new. Also, after wrestling in school, it feels similar. I%26#039;m interested in groundfighting styles. I throw a kick, most likely I%26#039;m gonna end up on the ground on my butt. Might as well learn to do something down there. Also I like traditional boxing. I can throw punches, just not kicks. Keep both feet on the ground or take it to the ground, that%26#039;s my motto.|||Bujinkan Ninjutsu. I chose it because it has alot of balance and plus it has strikes, grappling, and locks. which you can keep people under your control. in a fight.|||I study and teach Shito-ryu Karate. I picked it because it seemed well balanced. It has blocks, kicks, punches, locks, kata and sparring. It%26#039;s a true Okinowan style of Karate that has not been diluted by modern day teachers.





While I agree with a previous answer that no one martial art is superior in all aspects of fighting, I have to say that a MMA student needs a base art that they know very well and then add to that but never quit the first one.


I%26#039;m not sure how 3 months of HJJ would help anybody and I%26#039;m not sure I understand what %26quot;iron-body%26quot; training is.


Some people think that if they study something for a short while then they know it and can move on. They become a student of many and a master of none.


Good luck with that Ninjutsu... Don%26#039;t assasinate anyone.|||I study jujutsu for self-defense


and I practice tai-chi for keeping healthy.|||Tai Chi. It%26#039;s not only a martial art despite the appearance, but the slowmotioness of it but also a meditation in movement. You also learn about the Chi which is rare with other martial arts. Best part about it is you go with the flow not against it; much like A茂kido. These are non-violent martial arts and also some of the most powerful ones! Another detail is you have no grades with belts which is good for the ones who would tend to take it to their head.|||6 yr- Tae Kwon Do


4 yrs- Kung Fu


3 months- Hakkoryu JuJutsu


Now- Muay Thai





One who restricts their learning to a single style has already lost. I have been taught iron-body training in all 4 styles. I learn many styles b/c no one style is superior in all aspects of fighting.|||I started off with Goju ryu karate as a wee kid....didn%26#039;t like it, and moved onto Hung Gar gung fu.....stayed with that for 14 years.


During that time I did some cross-training with Choy Li Fut and S. Wing Chun....





I currently study Bujinkan Taijutsu....have been for nearly a decade or so.





Why? I like arts that are simple in application, well rounded, and none too fancy.|||he he|||I choose the best school in my area. It is a pure style from Okinawa and my teacher has direct lineage to Funakoshi.


I choose my dojo because all the other places in town are McDojo%26#039;s.|||boxing %26amp; street fighting ... most practical but also leaning towards mixed martial arts to learn differant styles ( motsuno ryu )|||I picked and stayed with Kunf Fu styles because I like the beauty of the forms and the richness of the culture. The circular motions of Kung Fu make it appear almost dance like in its manuvers. Kung fu has such a deep history that you can study one style and never learn all there is within that style. Most of the forms are well rounded teaching basics of strikes, kicks, grappling and joint locks. Now I have studied a couple different forms of Kung Fu mainly due to moves that forced me to find other schools to learn from.





I%26#039;ve studied:





Shuia-Chiao (chinese grappling form similar to Judo, but more concentration on joint locks)





Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis (Northern style Kung Fu which covers a lot of ground, the praying mantis has many sticky hand aspects to it and the Tam Tui or seeking legs covered ground with leg strikes)





Hung Gar Kuen (southern Tiger/Crane style, hard blocks and strikes from the tiger style. Crane was vital strikes and some sticky hand grapples)





Yuan style Tai Chi (added this in to help with my breathing and made my Kung Fu stronger because I had to concentrate more on each stance and strike. Going slow is not to make it easier it makes it harder because you really have to be solid in your basics or it becomes very noticeable. Moving fast allows people to blur their strikes and steps at times so they don%26#039;t always have to be absolutely perfect, going slow makes it a completely different thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment