Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tae Kwon Do, Okinawan Karate, or Ninjutsu?

I had done a little bit of tae kwon do when I was little. I liked the basics they taught, but I only advanced to a yellow belt because my family had to move; for this reason, I cant judge the effectiveness of the system. Many say that it is flashy and mainly for competition. Some say that high kicks and spin kicks are not useful in real fights. But I believe that high kicks and the speed of it must have some value.





Then I tried ninjutsu in my college last year. It%26#039;s part of Hayes%26#039; system. While everything is useful and devastating, I felt that it was too defensive and hard to master.





Then I checked out Okinawan karate. It seems pretty cool, but I do not know if it%26#039;s effective or not.





The question is: which one should I do? Is it possible to do 2 at the same time? (karate and ninjutsu?)


P.S. I%26#039;m not very flexible, therefore ninjutsu is the easiest for me. But if my flexibility can improve as I practice, I do not mind doing tkd or karate.|||The only thing I can say is train. Only you know what you want from the different Arts.Train as hard as you can and concentrate on the things you want from the Art and you will excel at them and the other parts of the Art will fall in line. Make the Art your style if every had the same style there would never be anybody that is out standing.|||the quality and frequency of training is the best answer, and spidertiger and dog preacher have also had good contributions to this.





You can train in two disciplines at once, but it will be difficult to set a good core base to work from, considering that you%26#039;ll be trying to cram both the disciplines together.





but by becoming proficient in one, then learning another down the road in a few years would be easier to incorporate the two together.





My reccomendation is to see which discipline interests you the most, then the second most interesting and study them accordingly.





there is Not one fighting art that is superior to the next, only by training as often as possible can you become proficient. any Martial Art or Modern Combat Art is going to be effective in some form whether as a whole or in part





as you yourself have said Ninjitsu is a defensive combat art, and it seems that you favor it a little more, so I would prob%26#039;ly stick with it, and then study TKD or Karate later, but your flexibility will improve if you train steadily.





good luck and stay up with your training|||Mix`em all up, many of the true Masters of Martial Arts have studied more than just the one discipline that they are known for, which is what makes them Masters. Go ahead and study the Ninjitsu, but learn from other forms as well, taking and using what works for you, it will also make you a better student as well.|||To start:


TKD is a sport, not a martial art.


Most karate styles have the same problems.





A martial art is developed for the battle field, not even for %26#039;real%26#039; tournament fights. You actually kill people.





The only karate styles I know that still are martial arts are shotokai, shotokan (depending on the teacher) and shorin-ryu. I have heard good things of shito-ryu too.





The real martial arts that I know and still exist are ninjutsu, sipalki-do, muay-thai and krav-maga.


It%26#039;s a pity that most muay thai teachers you find out there are a fraud.


And you won%26#039;t get real krav-maga unless you are jewish.


Ninjutsu has a lot of frauds too, but you may contact the Bujinkan to check a sensei.


http://www.bujinkan.com/





Sipalki-do is great but not well extended. Send an email to:


webmaster@sipalkido.com





Hayes has oversimplified the art. Go to the Bujinkan to try real Ninjutsu.





If you want a sport with some good self defense go for Shaolin Kung Fu or Goju Ryu Karate. If you want a martial art go for Bujinkan Ninjutsu or Sipalkido. Hapkido is a great option, hard to find too.





There is a very simple rule. If they have tournaments, they aren%26#039;t a real martial art. If ninjutsu had tournaments, we would have to forbid over 90% of the techniques, which are deadly. Muay Thai (the watered down we all know) and Jiujitsu have tournaments because they aren%26#039;t deadly.





I am a Bujinkan Ninjutsu and Shotokan Karate practitioner. So, yes, you can train both at the same time. However, I consider Ninjutsu my real art. Karate is just for fitness.





Beware of those who are jack-of-all and master-of-nothing. If you follow it to the end, any art will make it for you. The problem are the ones that doesn%26#039;t let you advance. I switched from karate to ninjutsu because karate organizations don%26#039;t put it easy for non japanese to advance to the highest grades. Actually, is really difficult to get further than 2nd dan.|||The basic truth of martial arts is this. The quality and frequency of training far outweigh the style of training. And I feel this is very true.


If you have the resources to study at several great places then do it. Although I feel you should get at least a solid foundation in one system and build on. I would rather have one mighty old oak than a forest full of saplings.


I study traditional Okinawa karate. I feel I am at a very high quality dojo with a wonderful Sensei. The way study is quite effective. For the first years we study only karate. Once you have a strong foundation we will learn influences of other styles. The influences come from Sensei鈥檚 Sensei ( Osensei is the term for this) who moved here from the Asian area.


Sempai (who is Sensei%26#039;s oldest son at our school) has going out and learned BJJ, he has brought that back to us, and after class we stick around and grapple. We realize that grappling is a very real aspect of fighting. This may rise eyebrows with other Okinawan traditionalists but let me remind you that in Okinawan the children began grappling before they studied striking. The youth would meet and clear away a circle and grapple. These events could last a whole day sometimes. Many karate-ka have lost this part of the art or don%26#039;t even know it existed.


After that long winded speech let me tell you this, if true karate is taught in an effective manner it is directly applicable to real life situations. The blocks are punishing, the moves are logical, there is no need to be a gymnast or weightlifter or enduro athlete to make this art work. It simply takes dedication and a quality teacher.|||TKD is flashy and only good in competition. Even then it%26#039;s not that great, as Muay Thai fighters enter into TKD competitions and win all the time. TKD sux. Think about this, Do you ever train without rules?





Learn a real style not some ancient art. Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are proven effective in real life and in competitions. They are fun to learn, and there is very lil religious BS in the programs. You will learn that you can neutralize any other system. Close the distance so they can%26#039;t punch or kick like they have been taught, then use your skills to submit them or elbow/knee them unconcious.





I have fought TKD fighters in NHB. They do some fancy kick and miss because I step away or block, then I %26quot;shoot%26quot; in and take them down. They usually try to do a headlock or something, maybe even punch me with ineffective strikes. I establish a dominant position, then they are completely under my control. Do I want to submit them? Do I want to choke them? Or Should I rain punches and elbows down on their face?





The recipe for an actual well rounded martial arts system is Muay Thai/Kickboxing, Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. These arts compliment each other very well. The basic principles are very easy to learn and you don%26#039;t have to be superman to protect yourself from someone larger than yourself.





BLAH BLAH BLAH, Hear the guy down there saying that he is too deadly, He can%26#039;t use it just demonstrate to the air how effective his killer technique is (never has he EVER been in a fight). The simple fact is the techniques that actually work aren%26#039;t some complicated BS. Its SIMPLE. When you punch you got jab, hook, cross, uppercut and hammerfist. When you are kicking its low mid high, front inside outside. Anything else is just a version of that. You don%26#039;t need to study martial arts to know if you can poke someone in the eyes, do it. **** TRADITIONALISTS THEY ARE OUTDATED AND ARE IN IT FOR YOUR MONEY. REAL SELF DEFENSE MASTERS ARE NOT AFRAID TO PROVE HOW EFFECTIVE THEY ARE.|||Truthfully, you need to ask yourself more questions, before anyone can help you resolve this issue. What do you seek to learn? How commited are you? Do you want to compete? Be fit? Be a police officer/tactical ops? Become centered and balanced?





Do you want a hard or soft style? Internal or external? Grappling and controlling or striking and breaking? Mixed or focused?





Some schools do not take kindly to students training in multiple styles/schools simultaneously. (Often because it cuts into their pocketbooks, but sometimes because it confuses the student). Best to find out with each instructor what their views are on this before you upset anyone.





In my experience, experience is what counts, the more you have the better you do in any situation. So the more you can learn and understand, the better. Just remember that there is no perfect technique and to every counter, there is a counter.|||There is no superior style. Just superior practitioners. If I were you I would:





Call all the schools in your area and ask the instructor what their philosophy of training is and what they focus on. Don%26#039;t tell them what you are looking for because they will try to sell their school to you.





Ask them if you can try a free class. Most have no problem with that. They want your business.





Go to the one that best meets your needs.





It will take a little longer to find a school but you will not need to second guess your self.





Yes you can train in two systems at once. But know that when you do this your progress in each art will slow down. If you really like one and just kind of like the other, focus on the one you like the most for a year or two.|||Tae kwon do does have quite a few flashy moves which can leave you open to attack in vital areas. However, in saying this these moves where developed for a reason such as the flying kick was used to dislodge someone from a horse which was probably useful when the enemy was often travelling by horse. Many styles still retain these types of techniques as well as various others and once you understand the style more you tend to have your favourites that you find work for you. In saying this, I can only speak for Okinawan karate as I am a first dan. I am 5%26#039;3 and 54kg. I really like it because I know I still be able to do it when I%26#039;m eighty. I don%26#039;t think you can do 2 at the same time particularly Tae kwon do and karate as movement in the forward stance would contradict the other and some instructors get a bit funny over this . hope I%26#039;ve been some help|||I don%26#039;t know about the others, but I study Tae kwan do, and find it can be very effective with the kicks, esp. since you can combine it with punches and blocks. It%26#039;s a well-rounded martial art. My school also emphasizes self-defence, which is really why you would want to know a martial art. You%26#039;re not going to go out and look for a fight, except in competitions. I%26#039;ve gained flexibility while I%26#039;ve learned, and kicks don%26#039;t have to be high and flashy, just well placed. What you learn depends on the school, there%26#039;s a lot of variation. I%26#039;ve been lucky to find one that emphasizes learning the art, not raking in the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment